Monday, February 4, 2008

hi there

Hello there, LOVE your page. I have a few questions for you and I hope you aren't annoyed by them. I read everything you have on your page about those of us who want to be Vegas cocktail waitresses but now I just need some honest advice. My husband and I currently live in Boston, he's a Union painter and I am a bartender/waitress/cocktail waitress, if the job is available in a restaurant I have done it. I am 27 years old and he and I have 3 children. We have a crazy huge mortgage that is only allowing us to scrape by monthly. Recently we went on our 3rd trip to Vegas after saving up for 2 years LOL...fortunately we were winners, but this is besides the point.
While we were there we actually took the time to drive outside of the strip and see a little more. I absolutely fell in love with the area. We were looking into houses and realized that a house that costs $500,000 here is only about $200,000 out there. I checked into the union rates there and he would make $31/hour if he were to transfer. Which would definitely be enough to cover our mortgage and most bills...but I wouldn't want to move out there only to find its the same struggle we face here. I would love to cocktail waitress but I am so afraid I won't be able to get a job once I am there. I wanted to do like 3 nights a week and was wondering about how much I could expect to make. I am not by any means asking you to tell me how much you make but you know better than anyone an average of what the cocktail waitresses make out there. I just don't want to make this decision, with illusions of grandeur only to fall on my face. Would we be able to live comfortably? And also, with the Union you spoke of...is there a 401k you can invest in...because my husband would lose his annuity that we have here. I am just wondering if I were to put my entire paycheck into a retirement would I be able to live just off of the tips. I hope this email wasn't too invasive...I know a persons salary and pay is a very private thing. Thank you very much for your time and for reading this!!
Nickie

No comments: